Happy Friday the 13th!
I cut out the pieces on Tuesday night and Wednesday night, and ironed the ones that were being stubborn about curling where they’d been folded. (I know I should iron before cutting, but I was just so impatient… it hasn’t caused any problems yet.)
I’m using five fat quarters of the Circa 1934 and 1 yard of a Kona cream-colored cotton (I don’t recall which exactly), which were enough to make 15 block centers and 15 block borders, with a teeny bit of each print left over, which I may add to a scrappy binding, spaced out with black. I may also just bind it in a red-white-stripe. I cut my solid stupidly, and had to piece together my last two 9″x2.5″ strips together from scraps, which was a little annoying. I’ll know better next time.
I pinned all of the blocks to their short borders first, which took a while, but meant that I was able to chain piece the 15 red-centered blocks in one fell swoop, which was nice and fast:
I finished all the white-bordered blocks first, before embarking on the red-bordered ones.
Another two bouts of pinning and ironing and trimming later, I have all of my 30 blocks, trimmed to 8.5″.
I made up a schematic the other day and decided that I really want there to be sashing between the blocks: so I’ll be adding 1.5″ strips of black between the various blocks, and arranging the blocks diagonally, rather than horizontally. This is my very awkward mock-up:
I haven’t the faintest idea what I’m going to do with this quilt once it’s done, but I can figure that out later.